Patrick Asplin has a diverse business practice that includes business formation and financing, preparation and negotiation of key operational contracts, and commercial transactions. His practice has a particular emphasis on intellectual property issues and business disputes. He frequently counsels companies and business owners on matters relating to the acquisition, protection and exploitation of intellectual property, and this component of his practice includes trademark prosecution, IP licensing and university technology transfer. Patrick also handles a wide range of commercial disputes, including shareholder disputes, corporate dissolutions, breach of contract claims, business torts, and trademark and copyright infringement. Patrick has represented both professionals and entities in contentious business separations involving physicians, dentists, accountants and attorneys. He also frequently works with companies to protect critical business information and relationships from misappropriation by third parties and former employees. Patrick has represented clients in arbitration proceedings and in litigation before federal and state courts, including the Virginia Supreme Court and the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. Patrick previously practiced as a barrister in England.
- Assisted numerous technology companies, including startup and early stage entities, with business formation, angel and venture capital financing, and preparation of critical internal and external contracts.
- Assisted both entities and universities with university technology transfers, including negotiating licensing agreements and Sponsored Research Agreements for both private funding of university research and funding under grants provided pursuant to the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) Programs.
- Drafted and negotiated a wide range of licenses and agreements relating to intellectual property, technology and e-commerce, including software development agreements, copyright, trademark and patent licenses, joint venture agreements, and strategic alliances.
- Assisted technology company with the preparation and negotiation of multi-million dollar licenses and services agreements relating to the development, hosting and deployment of web-based and PDA applications for major publishing companies.
- Assisted company with a merger and related transactions to effect the transfer of its business and operations to the United Kingdom.
- Represented the joint owner of a world-famous establishment in the hospitality industry in connection with systemic business disputes with co-owner, including representation in arbitration. Proceedings involving multi-million dollar claims, corporate and partnership dissolution proceedings, and the ultimate sale of his interest.
- Represented numerous professional service providers, including physicians, attorneys and accountants, with the resolution of disputes concerning termination of employment, equity ownership, shareholder’s rights, business torts and violations of non-competition and non-solicitation covenants.
- Assisted and advised multiple companies with the resolution of third-party claims alleging trademark or copyright infringement, including claims involving parody and fair use.
- Advised and assisted numerous companies with issues relating to business torts committed by employees, business partners and competitors, including representation in state and federal court pursing claims under the Virginia Trade Secrets Act for misappropriation of customer lists and business information.
Mr. Peck has financial and operational experience within subscription based, telecom and health care companies ranging in size from 35M to 250M in revenue. He also has SEC and Wall Street leadership in addition to turnaround experience.
Mr. Peck is a senior level executive with both finance, administration and operational experience. His tenure has included leadership positions with both private and public companies. Having started his career as a junior accountant with Price Waterhouse gave him the foundation necessary to incorporate his accounting skills with both his administration and operational talent.
Mr. Peck spent 19 years with two companies offering each the talent and professionalism necessary to grow both revenues and profits. One of these companies is the well known Phillips International, a leader in newsletter publishing. Having started with Phillips when they were just $12 million in revenue gave Mr. Peck an opportunity to utilize his skills to help the company grow to over $250 million. He was essential in aggressive financing for both acquisition and general working capital needs.Financings were domestic and in the United Kingdom. Mr. Peck had a department of over 160 employees during his tenure. Mr. Peck was solely responsible for a new Maryland tax law being passed which helped direct marketing firms mail into other states from Maryland thus reducing their tax liability.
Following Phillips Mr. Peck was Chief Financial Officer for American Mobile Satellite, a NASDAQ company; SKYC. At the start of Mr. Peck’s tenure he was instrumental in helping AMSC balance their cash needs to a more manageable level until the company was able to raise funding via a highly successful high yield bond offering during March 1998. The company raised over $300 million during this critical time of the company’s cycle. These funds allowed the company to pay down existing debt and to have sufficient working capital to operate the business, in addition to acquiring a division of Motorola.
Specialties:Leadership and growing businesses.[/vc_column_text]
Gene Riccoboni is an IP lawyer, who has worked as a technology sourcer for Nasdaq OMX and Credit Suisse. He has also served as counsel and options product manager for S&P, and as a commercial attorney to SS8 Networks. He began his career as an options trader at COMEX.
Co-Founder, SiLiCENE Labs, LLC
Laser Focused on Nanomaterials
Intellectual Property and Transactional Lawyer:
Standard & Poor’s
Grimes & Battersby, LLP
Alternative Investments Product Director:
Standard & Poor’s
Product Development Consultant:
Standard & Poor’s
Software License and IT Agreements Negotiator:
Specialties: Software Licensing, IT Agreements, Trademark Licensing, Options Product Development and Management, Contract Negotiations, Regulatory Compliance, Vendor Management, Strategic Sourcing, Supply Management, Relationship Management, Business Development, Futures and Options[/vc_column_text]
As a founder of performance-based, targeted customer acquisition companies, I develop and promote digital marketing systems that accelerate clients’ ROI and return on time. We create turnkey programs that convert more leads to sales… faster and at lower cost.
My businesses focus on simplifying technology-enabled marketing. I’ve integrated extensive executive level marketing and management experience (Ogilvy, Val-Pak, ActMedia, Remy Martin, Lipper) with two decades of developing proprietary digital marketing technology companies.
I am a seasoned public speaker and developer of leading marketing events. My performance marketing columns have frequently appeared in major trade publications. My customer acquisition and performance experience has provided the opportunity to serve on advisory boards for a range of emerging growth firms
- Advisory Boards: Tempesta Media, OURewards, OMMA/MediaPost, IvyConnect, Lower East Side Tenement Museum, Fresh Youth Initiatives
- Managed OMMA Global Response conference (2009 – 12): Established themes, moderated 15+ panels, recruited keynotes, other moderators & panelists
- Featured speaker for conferences of OMMA, The Conference Board, INC Magazine GrowCo Entrepreneurs Conference, Information Industry Association, Direct Marketing Association, Options Alliance
- Contributing columnist for MediaPost for 5+ years
- Co-author of Lightbulb Press’ “An Investor’s Guide to Trading Options”
- Frequent speaker and Program Chairman – Harvard Business School Club of NYC
- Focus of feature articles in “Advertising Age”, “Adweek”, “DM News”, “Marketing Communications”, “Promo” and “Sales & Marketing Management”
My current venture, KeyVersion Inc., completes the customer acquisition cycle, building upon the foundation of my prior venture, Precision Prospects (the leading digital lead generation service reaching self-directed investors) which was sold in a trade sale in 2009.[/vc_column_text]